All About Fittleton All Saints’
The village is mentioned in the Doomsday book as "Viteltone". As time passed the spelling of the name varied constantly, for example Vitleton and Fyttelton. Evidence of the gradual growth of the community after Saxon times can be found in the dignified simplicity of the Church, dedicated, like many of the Churches in this part of Wiltshire, to All Saints.
The chancel arch is of the late Norman period, as is the font bowl and most of the carved stone heads and corbels, which still support the timbers of the fifteenth century roof. The lower part of the tower may have been the oldest part of the building. The chancel and the two arcades of the nave were added in 13th Century. The tower arch leading into the nave would not necessarily appear later than the arcades, but it is built into them. The tower has a short spire and an unusual outside addition of an octagonal stair turret. All these, together with the north and south aisles are believed to have been finished before the end of the 14th century; the clerestory and new roof about a hundred years later, and the porch in Elizabethan times.
Numerous tablets on the interior walls, tell something about the benefactors and notabilities of the Parish. More can be learnt from the old church registers and other documents dating back to 1582, all of which are at the Wiltshire County archives in Chippenham.
Six bells are set in the tower and at present are rung by a team from the United Benefice who also ring at Enford and Netheravon.
1. Treble - "We praise Thee 0 God" cast by J. Warner London, 1903 in memory of Rev T. Pearce.
2. Second - Once the old treble bell first cast in 1842 by Thomas Mears, London. Recast by J. Warner & Sons, London, in 1903.
3. Third- "Fear God, Honour the King", cast in 1679 by Clement Tosier, Sarum. Recast by J. Warner &Sons, London, 1903.
4. Fourth - "Prayse God". 1603 L W. by John Wallis.
5. Fifth- "0 Praise the Lord". 1628 ID. by John Dauton.
6. Tenor - "Anno Domini 1660". L A. L. by John. Lott.